12.17.2010

Papermaking

Here is a little dialogue between a colleague and myself:

"We should recycle and make paper for Christmas projects." -me
"I don't know how to do that, do you?" -colleague
"Well...um...Yeah, I made paper when I was in 2nd grade." -me
"Okay.  How do we make paper?" -colleague
"Well...um...I'm sure I can find directions on-line.  But it must not be too hard." -me

Apparently, paper making is not that easy!  I learned a valuable lesson in childhood memories: just because it was easy as a child, doesn't mean it is easy as an adult (doing the "behind-the-scenes" work and all)!  That being said, we had a blast!

Mrs. Roller, myself and 4 student interns (Ms. Hoscheid, Ms. Kolbach, Ms. DiMaria, and Ms. Skjervem) combined forces and worked as an awesome team to provide our students with a fun, memorable, go-green experience that they will cherish.  Hopefully when they are adults, they will remember the joy of the experience, the laughter, the positive atmosphere, and the pretty (interesting looking) paper and not the smell of the irons, the sopping wet tables, or the slightly panicked look on the teachers faces.  :)

For a detialed lesson plan on how to make paper, check out Project Learning Tree resources.  (I will update the citation later when I dig out my book again.)

1 comment:

  1. It really was a great project! I would definitely do this project again with my older students!

    ReplyDelete